Leroy L. Wood School Vision Statement
The vision of the Leroy L. Wood School, in accordance with the district's 21st century vision, is to create a safe atmosphere of teaching and learning that centers around higher order thinking, that is both inviting and engaging to all members of our Wood School family: students, staff, families, and community members. In addition, we are committed to fostering students' development not simply in matters of academia but in all areas of the heart, mind, and body that prepare them to be caring citizens in a democratic society. Such core values will be reached through:
· Offering a hands-on, integrated curriculum that encompasses the whole child, accommodates their needs, and holds all to high expectations.
· Measuring children's progress in a variety of ways that incorporates a reflection of multiple perspectives of the child and drives future teaching and learning. They are measured through: benchmarks, tests, standards based assessment, projects and portfolios.
· Creating and maintaining a safe, bright and welcoming facility with updated features and specific areas designated for high quality teaching and learning and the delivery of services to meet the diverse needs of students.
· Experiencing technology that extend the learning process beyond the walls of the classroom and provide students with the responsibility and skills to integrate technology into their daily lives.
· Developing a "green" school by utilizing renewable energy resources available, thus teaching all members of the Wood School family how to be leaders in self-sustainability, while working towards a more environmentally friendly school.
· Fostering relationships with all members of the Wood School family, as well as the community at large.
· Striving for wellness through healthy nutrition, physical activity, and emotional well-being, while building positive self images.
· Learning experiences beyond the classroom such as field experiences, service learning, involvement in projects, and events that occur within the school day and beyond the classroom, thus fostering relationships within the Wood School family and the greater community.
· Celebrating each individual's strengths and supporting challenges.
· Cultivating a safe environment, where we can freely express our individuality and feel included.
The LeRoy L. Wood School, in partnership with families and the community, is committed to the development of the whole child in heart, mind and body. We will empower each other to be responsible, respectful, caring, life long learners that strive for success in all aspects of life.